Skip to main content

I Cherish Motherhood but I’m not yet Ready for Another Baby




Recently, I was asked by an acquaintance when my husband and I planned to have our next child. I wasn’t sure how to answer the question. Personally, unless I am super close with someone, I refrain from asking people questions about their family planning. Even then, I’m careful to couch the question in terms like “if” or “should you choose” rather than “when.”

We’ve been getting this question, it seems, since the moment our son was born, in my first month of motherhood. I can remember a handful of people eagerly asking when we planned to have our second. I remember wincing at the question, wanting to seriously question their sanity.

Di Indonesia atau bahkan di wilayah Asia pada umumnya, orang itu hobi banget nanyain
Kalau masih pacaran , “kapan menikah?”
Kalau udah menikah tapi belum punya anak, “kapan punya anak?”
Kalau udah punya anak 1, “kapan punya anak kedua?”
Ini sebenarnya hanya basa basi orang saja, namun ini benar-benar irritating banget.
Emangnya gampang punya anak?



Had I met their gaze, the inquirers would have seen me staring back at them as if they had two heads. “When are you having more?” is definitely not the question to ask someone lost in a sea of sleepless nights and around-the-clock feedings, still searching for their comfortable identity as a new mom.

Jujur saja, saya sangat tidak suka kalau orang-orang menanyakan itu, seolah-olah mereka itu ga bisa mikir. Kekurangan tidur dan sibuk mengurus bayi yang baru lahir itu belum lagi masih mencari identitas baru sebagai seorang ibu.



As my son nears a year old, I’ve started receiving the question more frequently. I still don’t know the answer entirely. I no longer internally recoil at the thought of “more.” I know that we definitely want more, eventually, but when the desire will strike to actually have more remains to be seen.

Seasoned moms have told me that there is a certain amount of “forgetting” that happens when the decision to add more comes. You forget how difficult pregnancy may have been. You forget the pains of labor and delivery. You forget the helpless newborn stage, and instead marvel as your child blossoms into this incredible being with their own personality.

Mendekati Raphael Oliver setahun, semakin sering orang menanyakan, saya bersyukur pertanyaan itu bukan dating dari pihak orang tua saya yang sungguh-sungguh melihat saya bergumul dalam transisi pasca melahirkan dan menjadi seorang ibu.



I’ve so loved motherhood, and I’m so thankful I’ve had to privilege to watch him grow and develop into the little person he becomes more of every day. When I think about adding another child to our family though, I know I’m still not ready. I’m not ready because I still haven’t forgotten.

saya suka menjadi seorang ibu, dan saya bersyukur setiap hari pada Tuhan bahwa saya diberi kesempatan untuk membesarkan Raphael Oliver. Namun kalau untuk menambah lagi, rasanya saya belum siap sama sekali. Karena saya belum lupa.



I haven’t forgotten heartburn and round ligament pains and pregnancy insomnia. I haven’t forgotten feeling out of breath, watching the scale creep up and up each week, and wondering what had happened to my body. I haven’t forgotten the anxiety and worry I felt before major doctor’s visits, hoping and praying that our tiny little being was safe and healthy.

Saya belum lupa rasanya kehabisan nafas kalau jalan, kekuatiran setiap kali ke dokter, takut bayinya kenapa-kenapa. Belum lagi ngantrinya …. Minta ampun yah dokter-dokter di Indonesia, benci banget rasanya udah cape pulang kerja mesti ngantri lagi didokter kaya ngantri sembako.



It was the same worry I felt most days, always hoping that our sweet baby was inside growing healthy and strong—always hoping we’d welcome a healthy child into the world with ease, but never fully knowing that day would actually come. I haven’t forgotten grieving for the losses of moms who could not welcome the babies due the same time as mine.

I haven’t forgotten the precarious nature of labor and delivery. I haven’t forgotten the delicate and fragile nature of a new baby, how every precious ounce gained was something to be celebrated. I haven’t forgotten long nights awake with a tiny little life able to communicate only through fitful cries. I haven’t forgotten looking into the mirror, all eye bags and leftover belly, and wondering who that person was.

Saya belum lupa rasanya pra melahirkan, memang akhirnya operasi, tapi nunggu 15 jam setelah air ketuban pecah, belum lagi kontraksi setiap menit, rasanya penderitaan di ranjang rumah sakit, ga bisa ngapa-ngapain, ga bisa ke wc. Pasca melahirkan melihat ke kaca, muka sembab, badan mengerikan, sampai tidak mengenali lagi manusia didepan kaca itu.



I haven’t forgotten how it felt to nourish myself and know that I was simultaneously nourishing our child. I haven’t forgotten how it felt to watch myself grow and expand and know that our son too was growing and changing.

I haven’t forgotten early butterflies and flip-flops, or hours spent staring down at a rippling belly. I haven’t forgotten seeing him for the first time, drinking in his features and sounds. I haven’t forgotten tiny kisses, long gazes, and cradling a tiny creature whose only desire was to be held and kept safe.



I haven’t forgotten the way my soul warmed when my son’s lips curled for that first intentional smile or how that light continues to burn stronger with every new smile. I haven’t forgotten first steps and first words, first foods and stolen bites.
I haven’t forgotten the sound of the first laugh or how proud I am every time he learns something new. I haven’t forgotten rushing home to see him or how great it feels to be the first person to get a morning hug.

Saya belum lupa rasanya pertama kali melihat Raphael Oliver tertawa dan rasanya semua penderitaan itu hilang dalam sekejap mata, rasanya ingin sekali melihat dia tertawa terus.



I haven’t forgotten how incredible it is to love so deeply and want something you once lived without.
And because I haven’t forgotten these things, I know I will again be ready for more—one day.

Saya belum lupa rasanya mencintai begitu dalam dan saya pasti siap …. Mungkin….. suatu hari nanti….. entah kapan…..




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me 10 Things You Love About Yourself!

In the comment section below, write a list of “10 Things I Love About Myself/10 Things That Are Great About Me.” (Which means YOU, right. Not me. It’s 10 things you love about yourself!) If you do it once, I'll follow you back on this blog.. If you do it three times in a row, I'll give you shoutout on my twitter @tamarabudiman Just post your list of 10 things below in the comment section of the blog. Then you come back here EVERY day for 3 days and post it again, and again, and again. And you see and celebrate all the amazing beautiful things other people are celebrating about themselves. It’s about doing what it takes to make the world a better place. It’s about fair exchange and having the courage to love ourselves in spite of the reasons we tell ourselves to do otherwise. So, that’s the deal! So go on! Tell me 10 things you love about yourself and let the games begin!!

How to Love Yourself

We spend so much time waiting to be loved, hoping love will find us, searching, yearning for that special love. Feeling empty and lost without it. Wanting someone to give us love and fill us up. Unfortunately, that’s not usually how life works. Loving yourself is mainly having self-respect which is the only dependable way to create love in your own life to share with others. When you expect love from an external source, and someone or something does not fulfill your void and fantasies, then you will feel worse than before. To be able to be loved, you must love and respect yourself as much as you do others. How to Love Yourself 1. Treat others with love and respect. Bringing joy to other peoples' lives will help you find joy in your own. In addition, those that you treat well will likely repay you with the same kindness. Gradually you will start to feel your worth through the smiles of gratitude. 2. Create goodwill and thankfulness by practicing random deeds of kindness by sha...

acceptance

If you trip with your feet, you can get back up again and continue as usual. We all make mistakes like this sometimes. It might be embarrassing, but only if you care greatly about the opinions of others. If you trip with your tongue, you unleash more than just words. You share thoughts, desires, or perspectives that may hurt others. Once you’ve said something hurtful, you can’t undo it. There’s no getting back up; there’s only asking for forgiveness and hoping they’ll pull you back up. Think before you speak. Whatever you say, write, or tweet will be out there forever. You can burn pages, delete tweets and Facebook comments, but you can’t pull your words from someone else’s mind. So, while you may one day forget why you said such hurtful things, others won’t. Don’t forget an earlier lesson that says it’s best not to speak unless you know for certain it’s something worth saying. If even a sliver of your being thinks what you’re about to say is better left unsaid, just keep it t...